Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > General Forum

Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
Okay, there isn't a right or wrong answer, but to me a lot of it depends on the situation. The strength of the Raiders is their offense, the weakness of the Saints is their defense. Like I said, I'll take my chances that my good offense can make a play against their bad defense. One play to win the game, and I have my best unit going against their worse unit. Not to mention the message it sends to your team, fuck OT, we're winning this game right now. I have to think the players loved the decision, whether it worked or not, I love the aggressiveness. Off topic, but I love it when a coach goes for 4th and one from the other teams 40, most of the time they punt, but I love the aggressive coach who isn't afraid to gamble, I think teams should go for it on 4th down way more often than they do. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a fan of being aggressive, play to win, I wish more coaches coached that way.
If you've never been to footballoutsiders.com, it's definitely worth checking out. Lots of content and statistical analyses about the situations you're describing.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
Okay, there isn't a right or wrong answer, but to me a lot of it depends on the situation. The strength of the Raiders is their offense, the weakness of the Saints is their defense. Like I said, I'll take my chances that my good offense can make a play against their bad defense. One play to win the game, and I have my best unit going against their worse unit. Not to mention the message it sends to your team, fuck OT, we're winning this game right now. I have to think the players loved the decision, whether it worked or not, I love the aggressiveness. Off topic, but I love it when a coach goes for 4th and one from the other teams 40, most of the time they punt, but I love the aggressive coach who isn't afraid to gamble, I think teams should go for it on 4th down way more often than they do. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a fan of being aggressive, play to win, I wish more coaches coached that way.
Yes but like Chap said, I don't see anybody disagreeing with your conclusion just your analysis which is basically the same shit you hear on sports radio or at the bar. AP's typically defer to things like math, which provably show beyond all doubt that going on 4th and 1 from the 40 (either of them!) is better than punting, and it has nothing to do with "being afraid to gamble" it's just common sense.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:47 PM

Going for 2 is the obvious move in that spot, although many coaches would blow it. I don't think it matters home/road/dog/or/fav IMO.

There were 47 seconds left in the game. The Raiders were still going to have to guard against the Saints getting into FG range and kicking a winning FG to win.

If the score were tied 34-34 the Saints win with a FG in the last 47 seconds or it goes to OT where Raiders would be a small dog.

If the Raiders were up 35-34 the Saints also win with a FG, but if they don't get in range or miss FG Raiders win.

If Raiders miss, they know they can do onside kick and upon recovery get into FG range and win. Sure it's a low percentage play, but it has some chance of success and if they miss 2-pt conv it's a obvious call to make.

They were freerolling information. They gain a win instead of a push in regulation, and upon failure they still have outs.

Edit: having thought about it another few minutes, I think a decent favorite, say a team that was at least -6 or higher for the game, probably should kick the XP because they can grind out the win with their dominance. I'd say for a 5 point favorite or lower or any dog it would be best to go for 2. A 6 point favorite or higher should tie it up.

Last edited by David M; 09-14-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Career Jerkoff, Gambling Guru and/or Dipshit

OK so the brightest minds on here cannot agree on many things, but we are dead set on the raiders 2 pt attempt is the stronger of the two options from a win percentage age standpoint.

2 pter it is!

Keep in mind this place is full of nazi's, commies, atheists, ultra-liberal douchebags and generally folks whose self perceived level of enlightenment emits an odor so foul that you have to be thankful this is just the interwebs. Therefore, it is only natural that most folks here don't like me.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:38 AM

Haven't heard it mentioned yet but I thought the genius of immediately getting into formation for a 2pt attempt was forcing NO to burn their last timeout.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:13 AM
Career Jerkoff, Gambling Guru and/or Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2w2p2s View Post
Haven't heard it mentioned yet but I thought the genius of immediately getting into formation for a 2pt attempt was forcing NO to burn their last timeout.
I couldn't believe new Orleans did this. Carolina did this on Thursday too, avoiding a 5 yard delay penalty. Happens all the time, misuse of timeouts are great for dog covers. Oh well. Yeah that timeout would have been handy on the saints fg attempt drive. Maybe if the raiders tied it with pat then saints probably would have a better fg try. Genius.

Keep in mind this place is full of nazi's, commies, atheists, ultra-liberal douchebags and generally folks whose self perceived level of enlightenment emits an odor so foul that you have to be thankful this is just the interwebs. Therefore, it is only natural that most folks here don't like me.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:28 PM

That will help dogs cover their 50 point whatever percentage slightly, very slightly better than favorites cover, so no real big deal.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:22 PM

So how did Brian Burke get this so wrong?
Old 09-14-2016, 10:17 PM

Steve Fezzik from pregame.com says that the math hates it

Steve Fezzik ‏@FezzikSports Sep 11
HORRENDOUS decision to go for 2 for Oak.....fine to do so with :04 left, not :47..... you don't win if you get the 2, so the math HATES it
Old 09-15-2016, 12:18 PM

Love the Bills tonight. -1 (-106) at pinny for all you can eat.