Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > General Forum

Old 12-02-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Child View Post
It used to only be left wing wacko's who believed it was the governments job to decide where and how we can live our lives. Now it's the Republicans who think that.

It's amazing to see the Republicans becoming the party that thinks big government should take the place of personal freedom and personal responsibility.
When was this not the case? Personal liberty is the primary reason I've been a registered Democrat the past 17 years, so while I'm not saying you're completely wrong about where these parties used to be you make it sound like a recent trend. The GOP has been all about getting in people's business for quite awhile.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Career Jerkoff, Gambling Guru and/or Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
When was this not the case? Personal liberty is the primary reason I've been a registered Democrat the past 17 years, so while I'm not saying you're completely wrong about where these parties used to be you make it sound like a recent trend. The GOP has been all about getting in people's business for quite awhile.
I agree. It has been. Under neocon rule. I don't care too much about abortions, but I don't want to pay for them. I don't want government in my life and that includes those personal choices. On the other hand, I don't want Dems telling me I can't own a firearm. Or drive what I want to drive. Or give my earnings to those that don't earn.

Madlib, parties change. They always have. Bill Clinton despite supporting some regulation, was generally a small gov Democrat. Bush, a neocon, helped the bailout. And as you said, many neocons have been anti civil liberty.

It's quite a balance of civil liberty and the common good. Isn't that why we have government instead of anarchy? Civil liberties are great, until someone else's interferes with mine.

If you were in the Republican party, you would see the room divide at times. Traditional neocons vs. Independent conservative views. That do occasionally clash. Sorry but it's a big tent. Keeping the fruits of your labor and smaller government is part of what I think the cornerstone of the party should be.

Oh fuck, I just hang with the KKK and other white supremecist groups. Nah I am lying, they are actually Democrats.

Keep in mind this place is full of nazi's, commies, atheists, ultra-liberal douchebags and generally folks whose self perceived level of enlightenment emits an odor so foul that you have to be thankful this is just the interwebs. Therefore, it is only natural that most folks here don't like me.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Gay marriage and Gitmo. Other major sticky issues with the neocons.

I don't have a problem with gay marriage, or closing Gitmo.

I have a problem in general with a religious term such as marriage. It should be a more general non secular term. And plural marriage should be included too. If we are speaking of equal treatment and rights under a civil union. Not all gays are Democrat either. Plenty of gays everywhere.

Yeah government needs to get out of our lives. Religion and government shouldn't mix.

And CNN is losing it.

Keep in mind this place is full of nazi's, commies, atheists, ultra-liberal douchebags and generally folks whose self perceived level of enlightenment emits an odor so foul that you have to be thankful this is just the interwebs. Therefore, it is only natural that most folks here don't like me.

Last edited by Cutter; 12-02-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
Or give my earnings to those that don't earn.

Madlib, parties change. They always have. Bill Clinton despite supporting some regulation, was generally a small gov Democrat. Bush, a neocon, helped the bailout.
Just curious, how do you feel about Donald's Carrier deal? Sounds like you should be opposed.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
Just curious, how do you feel about Donald's Carrier deal? Sounds like you should be opposed.
Picking winners is not the governments job.

But that's what has been happening for decades.

I am hoping that the plan is to get ease the cumbersome regulations, and incentivise all companies by lowering tax rates across the board, in order to keep companies in the US. And business to business will especially benefit.

I see Sarah has her panties in a bunch. Oh well. We are trying some shit. I think Trump is pretty dedicated to compromise and getting Americans working.

Last edited by Cutter; 12-02-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Picking winners is not the governments job.
According to voters and our next President that is one of the few things the government will be doing.

Quote:
I am hoping that the plan is to get ease the cumbersome regulations, and incentivise all companies by lowering tax rates across the board, in order to keep companies in the US.
Cutting taxes can only benefit us when it is done alongside cutting spending. The last Republican President to believe that was Nixon. Trump definitely does not. Almost all of his campaign promises that his voters cared about were about increasing spending. The most recent Republicans all believed very strongly in borrowing as much money as possible to cover whatever tax cuts they would give to the richest people. It's like when one of our friends decides that he's going to play blackjack and if he loses a hand he's just going to keep doubling his bet until he either wins or loses his entire bankroll.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Too bad Hillary couldn't make those cogent arguments.

I mentioned it pages ago (in primaries thread) that she had to tear down the elements of this type of economic populism. It isn't hard. But they didn't go that direction. Actually reading that thread would be a good thing for the MSN to do. Right down to the electoral college.

Obama has been picking winners and losers for 8 years.

Just saying.

I look forward to tariffs personally. I think we have everything we need here in the US. The rest of the world can go fuck themselves.

Last edited by Cutter; 12-03-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Obama has been picking winners and losers for 8 years
And it's the reason the voters elected him twice. It's why Trump's entire campaign was about him being the one who gets to choose who wins and who loses. Far different Republican party from the past when they insisted on people being able to take responsibility for themselves. Now they want the government to save them and if the government doesn't do that they just blame immigrants, welfare queens, and Obama instead of taking on the horror of looking themselves in the mirror.

I just wonder if Trump's lower class voters know that it won't be them he picks as winners over the next four years.

Last edited by Vanilla Child; 12-03-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:33 PM

Trump is a populist with conservative leanings.

So no typical Republican free market really describes him, nor many of his supporters like myself.

Folks need to get over it :).

If you want a good laugh, Google ... Jonathan pie Trump.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:44 PM

[quote=Cutter;99146

If you want a good laugh, Google ... Jonathan pie Trump.[/QUOTE]

I Googled that, but it didn't make me laugh. I feel like pointing that out for no reason in particular.