Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > General Forum

Old 09-11-2016, 06:04 AM

Default 2016 Football Discussion

I just want to say that I love this forum and everyone who posts here.
The baseball discussion thread turned out to be an unmitigated success. So let's try it again!
Many of the good lines have moved. But I like the Titans and the Jets.
Best wishes, even to you Ronald!
Old 09-11-2016, 04:39 PM

Default Brian Burke: Raiders

I usually like Brian Burke's stuff, but how did he come up with the Raiders having a 51% chance of winning if they went for a PAT?

Yes, it worked, but was going for 2 the right call for Raiders?

Jack Del Rio's call turned out just right for the Raiders in Week 1. Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images
2:39 PM PT
Sharon Katz & Brian Burke
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
print
comment
With 47 seconds remaining and trailing by seven against the Saints, Derek Carr hit Seth Roberts for a 10-yard touchdown to pull the Oakland Raiders within one.

So, kick the extra point and go to overtime, right?

Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio had a different plan. He opted to attempt a two-point conversion with the potential to win the game in regulation.

Did Del Rio make the correct decision?

Based on ESPNís win probability model, the Raiders would have had a 51 percent chance to win if they kicked the extra point and a 44 percent chance to win if they attempted the two-point conversion.

That assumes that teams make extra points 95 percent of the time and convert the two points at a rate of 48 percent, which is based on NFL averages over recent years. The Raiders would have had to convert their conversions at a rate of 56 percent for it be a break-even proposition.

So Del Rio took a risk -- one that the numbers do not necessarily support -- but it ended well for the Raiders. Each two-point attempt is different, so maybe he thought the Raiders could score on the Saintsí porous defense or that his team was particularly efficient on two-point tries. The Raiders had made one earlier in the quarter, giving them as many as they had all of last season.

Nonetheless, Oakland converted the two-point attempt on a fade in the back of the end zone to Michael Crabtree. After converting, the Raiders had a 91 percent chance to win and were able to hold off Drew Breesí drive that resulted in a missed 61-yard field goal attempt.

The Raiders are the first team to score a go-ahead two-point conversion in the final minute of the fourth quarter since the Broncos did it against the Chargers in Week 2 of the 2008 season.

The play was also not the first time the Saints have lost when a team decided to go for two points in the last minute of regulation. In Week 15 of 2002, the Vikings scored to pull within one on a Daunte Culpepper-to-Randy Moss touchdown and then converted the two for the win.

The Raiders took a risk, but it paid off.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Career Jerkoff, Gambling Guru and/or Dipshit

(.425) is raider win probability if they kick it. Certainly not more than 50%. They could miss the pat, and saints more likely to get a fg than give one up with 45 sec remaining.

Saints were slightly favored but let's call ot nearly a 50/50 proposition. If you want to skew for extra homefield late that makes raiders case to go for it even stronger.

I think they make the conversion over 50%. Based on prevailing total and they way the offenses were better than the defenses.

So Jack clearly made the right call. Not even close to being the wrong call.

Don't believe the bullshit. And don't believe that OK St got hosed either. Clearly what they did was a penalty. Penalties by definition has a consequence.

Keep in mind this place is full of nazi's, commies, atheists, ultra-liberal douchebags and generally folks whose self perceived level of enlightenment emits an odor so foul that you have to be thankful this is just the interwebs. Therefore, it is only natural that most folks here don't like me.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:19 PM

I had saints ml and -.5. I was hoping he would reconsider after the timeout.

Keep in mind this place is full of nazi's, commies, atheists, ultra-liberal douchebags and generally folks whose self perceived level of enlightenment emits an odor so foul that you have to be thankful this is just the interwebs. Therefore, it is only natural that most folks here don't like me.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 PM

Pitt.-Was. game 1st half Over 25 and a hook. Hope these bookies take teasers forever, I know some are raising the juice, but so many two way winners in N.F.L., horseshoes and hand grenades.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos Eyesly View Post
Pitt.-Was. game 1st half Over 25 and a hook. Hope these bookies take teasers forever, I know some are raising the juice, but so many two way winners in N.F.L., horseshoes and hand grenades.
I will lose teasers this week. :( even if the 49ers cover.

But I still bought a round for everybody anyway. Dancing and fucking girls arrive within the hour.

Where do you live? I can't wait for legal weed to hit Nevada this winter. And the choice will be Trump or Johnson. So we dodged a bullet. Either one is fine with me.

Great topics of conversation. Did monkeys ever eat meat. And some really cool answers. Turns out the probably couldn't at first, but as evolution continued, they could. And how come we all have different DNA if we came from Adams rib?

Me, just smiling between escapades knowing that Hillary will not be running in a few weeks. Then I thought the DNC might have a replacement plan. Which am still releived sinceno replacement can be as bad as her. Yup that's right.

Last edited by Cutter; 09-11-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM

Pretty sure the first ape to eat meat was us and to do so in any volume required us to learn how to cook it
Old 09-12-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
I
Me, just smiling between escapades knowing that Hillary will not be running in a few weeks. Then I thought the DNC might have a replacement plan. Which am still releived sinceno replacement can be as bad as her. Yup that's right.
I plan on bumping this after she does.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:32 PM

Anyway, the raider decision was clearly the right one.

I tried to update this thread last night after getting pulled over last night.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:15 PM

482 49ers +3 (-120)