Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > The Chip Count

Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 AM

On the other hand can you fold? Seems kinda bad to get em in against 4 other players with a non nut straight, and 0 redraws to the nuts other than a potential straight chop. Again, I hate playing plo out of position.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:18 AM

The more that I think about this one I kind of lean fold on this one. Seems like on of those spots were you are getting em in dominated a lot.

But, running the numbers lets say you get em in here 3way, and one guy has AK, and another guy has nut flush draw. You are still about 25.5% to win with 6% chance of tying which isn't that terrible 3way. So considering that you could very well be head here maybe you shove? Another spot that i'm not real sure about.

As of right now considering the redraw possiblities, plus the fact that you could very well be ahead, my answer is pot!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Moderator-The Chip Count

Fold.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixtrix View Post
was playing in a home game with frequent straddles/raises (can straddle up to 25), so played more like a 5-5-25 game

bobby oboodi (1k stack) straddles utg for 25, one middle position player calls, i'm in hijack (1k stack) and look down at QQ55, thought about raising but decided ultimately to call, button calls (2k stack) and both blinds call. six players and 150 in the pot preflop.

flop comes down 8 8 Q

oboodi leads out 100 bet and the middle player folds, i call, the button raises to 250, blinds fold

oboodi calls 150 more, it's 150 more to me and 750 in the pot

button is a semi-decent plo player but known to tilt, he's down 3k for the session and just rebought for the max

what is my play?
so the outcome of this hand was that I raised all in and both player folded showing 89 and 8 10 high respectively.

after reflection it is obvious to me that i made a significant mistake, esp so as one of the player commented that he's willing to go allin if he catches a boat on the turn.

i greatly overestimated their hands (i knew they both had 8's but thought either 8Q or 8KA which might've called), underestimated my win probability (100%). so there is absolutely no reason for me NOT slowplay. obv not every overfull is sure winner but vast majority are, i guess i relearned the principle in omaha you should ALMOST never slowplay.

ps: why do everyone insinuate that i'm j7's beard/sidekick? why can't he be my beard/sidekick?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixtrix View Post
another 5/5/25 PLO hand:

same 3 players, bobby is now in hijack (11k), former button is now in cutoff (700 stack), i'm the button (10.5k)

1 straddle and 2 limpers to bobby, who raised to 75, cutoff reraises to 310, i hold ah 3h ad jd on the button, raises pot to 1090 to isolate the shortstack.

it was folded around the table to bobby who calls, and cutoff calls all-in, pot is now 2965

flop: 2d 7c 9s

bobby checks (roughly 10k remaining), what is my action? (roughly 9.5k remaining)
so actual action was i bet pot, and folded to a check-raise, villain had 3d 4s 7d 7s for a set on pot, and rivered quads to take down a huge pot (cutoff had K K 10 10)

i folded at the time b/c i sincerely believe i was beat and beat hard, the pot has gotten too big for my hand, we rarely play stacks this deep and he was willing to raise all in on what would wouldve been a 21k pot with a draw. the villain had no clue i would be able to fold in that spot as usually with 2 or 3k stack it would be an easy call for me.

ps: why do everyone insinuate that i'm j7's beard/sidekick? why can't he be my beard/sidekick?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:56 PM

interestingly, no other hand i have played ever generated so much divisiveness between poker players i asked advice on (bet/call 50%ish, check 40%ish, bet/fold 10%ish)

at least that indicated there is no one clear option on that hand or in other words i did not make an obvious mistake either way.

thinking back now, i believe now that checking is my top choice, bet folding is middle, bet/call would be last due to circumstances in that hand

basically since we still had 90% of our stack behind on the flop, i need to resort to deep stack poker and control the pot so it does not grow out of proportion relative to my hand (only pair of aces). obviously the fear that he will catch up with something like middle pair and gutshot is there, however due to this being a protected pot, and i obviously cannot squeeze out the cutoff who's all in, there's not sufficient reward for me to bet (even if the villain folds cutoff can outdraw me).

Villain knew 100% i have aces, and obviously knowing what he needs to crack them, considering our stacks and the fact i never folded in that spot previously, i see no way of him bluffing (or even weak semi-bluffing)

Old 04-23-2015, 09:59 AM

pot preflop
Old 05-01-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubster View Post
pot preflop
why?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 AM

you have around 40bb in a loose plo game with a hand that has solid equity but shitty flop prospects. you're also pretty bad at figuring out what to do postflop so why make life harder? i'm not trying to rib you, but considering you flopped top boat and have a stack thats probably less than pot and you made a thread about it, you have to admit you probably aren't super confident about your plo abilities.

if a plo situation like the one you're describing is going to be questionable enough that you start a thread about it, it's almost certainly more profitable just to pot it preflop to make your postflop decisions more automatic. i'm not trying to be snide, i just think that if you're unfamiliar with a game and you're faced with two profitable options, you should choose the path of least resistance even if there's a chance that the alternative could be slightly more optimal in a vacuum. i strongly feel that you'll make more money this way.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:50 AM

lol, that's a lot of assumptions from one posted plo hand, craps master posted a plo hand too, in this forum, i guess instead of generating conversation he's probably retarded post flop plo player too.

hell everyone is here probably a dog to fubster (what limits do you play? 1/2?) in plo.

ps: saying i can't make decision post flop so i have to pot preflop w/ weak hand is most retarded thing actually in this thread