Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > The Chip Count

Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 PM

Default 5-5-25 plo hand

was playing in a home game with frequent straddles/raises (can straddle up to 25), so played more like a 5-5-25 game

bobby oboodi (1k stack) straddles utg for 25, one middle position player calls, i'm in hijack (1k stack) and look down at QQ55, thought about raising but decided ultimately to call, button calls (2k stack) and both blinds call. six players and 150 in the pot preflop.

flop comes down 8 8 Q

oboodi leads out 100 bet and the middle player folds, i call, the button raises to 250, blinds fold

oboodi calls 150 more, it's 150 more to me and 750 in the pot

button is a semi-decent plo player but known to tilt, he's down 3k for the session and just rebought for the max

what is my play?

ps: why do everyone insinuate that i'm j7's beard/sidekick? why can't he be my beard/sidekick?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixtrix View Post
was playing in a home game with frequent straddles/raises (can straddle up to 25), so played more like a 5-5-25 game

bobby oboodi (1k stack) straddles utg for 25, one middle position player calls, i'm in hijack (1k stack) and look down at QQ55, thought about raising but decided ultimately to call, button calls (2k stack) and both blinds call. six players and 150 in the pot preflop.

flop comes down 8 8 Q

oboodi leads out 100 bet and the middle player folds, i call, the button raises to 250, blinds fold

oboodi calls 150 more, it's 150 more to me and 750 in the pot

button is a semi-decent plo player but known to tilt, he's down 3k for the session and just rebought for the max

what is my play?
Flat and let the button bet the turn while wondering how this hand is still 3-way.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:54 AM

I think i'd just call. If you do the ole call then 3bet on the flop I think it narrows your range down to to QQ and Q8 in that spot (assuming he has an 8). I'd strongly consider folding A8 in that spot if I was button, and you did that to me.

The turn I might get creative and donk or something if I wasn't confident that he was going to bet the turn, or if I thought he might view it as weak.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:30 PM

another 5/5/25 PLO hand:

same 3 players, bobby is now in hijack (11k), former button is now in cutoff (700 stack), i'm the button (10.5k)

1 straddle and 2 limpers to bobby, who raised to 75, cutoff reraises to 310, i hold ah 3h ad jd on the button, raises pot to 1090 to isolate the shortstack.

it was folded around the table to bobby who calls, and cutoff calls all-in, pot is now 2965

flop: 2d 7c 9s

bobby checks (roughly 10k remaining), what is my action? (roughly 9.5k remaining)

ps: why do everyone insinuate that i'm j7's beard/sidekick? why can't he be my beard/sidekick?

Last edited by trixtrix; 04-04-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 PM

Awkward spot and somewhat player dependent. I'd probably check back since stacks are set up such that if you fire you can get check-blasted off your hand by anything from 2-pr to a wrap.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Moderator-The Chip Count

Without knowing anything about these guys, here are my plays:

#1: Call. Raising here is equivalent to saying, "Hey guys, I have QQ." Calling is merely 90% equivalent to saying, "Hey guys, I have QQ." Either way, you're probably not getting a ton more action from anyone but Q8 or 88, and maybe not even Q8. If the turn isn't an A, K, or 8, you can just bet something fun like $350 or $400 if it's checked to you.

#2: I don't really like raising to isolate the short stack and putting 10% of your stack in. It's not terrible, because at least you're OTB, but I would just call for several reasons. First, it disguises your hand. Second, it gives other players the chance to try to isolate the short stack, opening them up to a massive reraise by you later; getting 40% or 100% of your stack in here is just so much better than getting 10% in, but that can only really happen if you call. Finally, being OTB with a pair of aces and two potential nut flush draws against several players isn't a bad spot to be in.

As played, it depends on the other guy. Is he a tournament player who will instinctively just check it down without something close to the nuts because there is a short stack all-in? Some tournament players are like that and, if this guy is one of them, I don't have a problem with checking behind and going for the showdown, even though that gives him a chance to catch up with an inferior holding. Is he going to try to outplay you with a wide enough range that it's alright to get AA in on this flop? If so, just bet and go with it. This really is entirely player-dependent. There's no good generic line to take at this point. What you can be sure of is that if he isn't a total buffoon, he knows this flop missed your range; those of us who weren't at the table and who haven't played with him simply have no way of knowing what he does with this information.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:58 AM

I might just bet pot and call a checkraise on the flop. I don't really like it though. Whats a better play? Do you just check back and fold if he shows aggression on the turn? That flop is not scary, usually the only thing that will beat you is a set. I don't really like betting and folding. If you bet and he checkraises he could easily have a draw. If I were in his shoes and somebody bet that flop I'd probably check raise any pair since your AA is pretty much face up, and a lot of people will fold AA to a checkraise, and if you do call he isn't very far behind with most pairs. This looks to me like the best play is bet pot flop and hope for a fold, but if he x/r's yer going with it. Not a fun spot
Old 04-08-2015, 02:10 PM

*first of all, thank everyone for their responses, keep it up so we can knowledge pool

plo hand 3: i'm utg (2.5k) and raises to 20 (i don't straddle) with 9d 10c jd kc,

one ep loose-aggressive player calls (2k), 2 middle players (2k each) calls (haven't played with them much don't know their tendencies), folds to the big blind (625 shortstack) and he bets pot to 125, everyone calls with 630 in the pot

before the flop came out, the bb shoves in his remaining 500 blind, i've played with this player some and he frequently makes this move (when shortstacked) with pocket aces regardless of his side-cards, table action, and number of players in the pot. so i'm 99% certain he has aces

flop comes 10d jh qh

it's 500 to me, what is my action?

Old 04-08-2015, 03:32 PM

One technical point/question - how many players? If fullish I don't like raising UTG with a top-gap run-down.

As to your action, I think your SPR is low enough against the remaining live players to get it in here. The flush draw is a pain but what you gonna do?
Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 AM

I think this one is a shove. Him being likely to have AA makes it a little less likely that somebody has AK. I'd think you would usually be ahead here with the 2nd nuts. Even if you are beat by AK you are still probably about 22.5% to win, and probably about 7% to tie.

I don't see a better play here than just potting. I don't think you can fold here can you? I'm not syre about calling here, if you call and somebody behind you pots can you fold? Seems like their range would be too wide, and the pot would be too big to be able to fold.

Like kat said folding pre might be best. I hate playing plo out of position.