Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > General Forum

Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Agendaless Misanthrope

Default Amateur Hour in Buffalo

From ESPN.com:

EJ Manuel's ability to handle bad weather evidently was a factor in the Buffalo Bills' decision to use their first-round draft pick on the quarterback.
Bills coach Doug Marrone revealed in an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio that Manuel impressed Buffalo's brass by throwing the ball well during an extremely windy thunderstorm at a private workout in Tallahassee, Fla.

Marrone said that Manuel's performance in the wet, windy conditions helped convince the Bills that the former Florida State star would be able to handle inclement weather in Buffalo, especially in December and January.

So, throwing a ball well in a thunderstorm is apparently now a deciding factor in drafting a QB. Maybe they will add thunderstorm drills to the draft combine?

In all my years of watching, reading about, and generally paying attention to professional sports, I dont remember ever seeing an organization as incompetent as the Buffalo Bills have been over at least the past 5 years. I recently spent an appreciable amount of time living in Western New York, and it really is an embarrassing state of affairs there, professional sports wise.

It's a shame too, because WNY has some of the best sports fans in the country.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM
No data to back it up

Weren't the projections for him late 2nd early 3rd?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Agendaless Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimie View Post
Weren't the projections for him late 2nd early 3rd?
At best. Many football people had him as a 4th rounder and/or as the 4th or 5th best QB in the entire draft.

I've been debating elsewhere whether, all things considered, this is BUF's worst draft pick of the last 15 years. The only other pick I could come with to compete is when BUF drafted J.P. Losman in the first round.

BUF definitely drafted Aaron Maybin too high, but BUF wasn't the only team that had Maybin as a first rounder.

I gave BUF a pass on Mike Williams, since every team thought he would be a stud.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM
No data to back it up

McGahee was good?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Agendaless Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimie View Post
McGahee was good?
He had a solid and productive rookie season (1128, 4.0 per, 13 TDs), a decent second season, an underwhelming third season, likely attributed to the fact that he wanted out of BUF so badly, and a solid 4th season with BAL. He's also managed to stay productive in the league as a RB for 9 seasons.

But, as far as judging the pick at the time, he was taken 23rd overall, which, while risky given the injury, and probably fairly considered somewhat of a reach, wasn't an eye-popping shocker by any stretch, and wasn't universally considered a botched pick.

The Losman pick was bizarre. I remember lots of people I know saying, "who!?" when BUF made that pick. Again, like Manuel, that was a situation where BUF took a guy in the first round who they probably could have had in the third round or later.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Career Jerkoff, Gambling Guru and/or Dipshit

Sounds reasonable to me. All other things being equal. Draft a guy who is tough under the conditions.

Keep in mind this place is full of nazi's, commies, atheists, ultra-liberal douchebags and generally folks whose self perceived level of enlightenment emits an odor so foul that you have to be thankful this is just the interwebs. Therefore, it is only natural that most folks here don't like me.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Marmalade, I like marmalade ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
Sounds reasonable to me. All other things being equal. Draft a guy who is tough under the conditions.
Except for the fact that that workout was a tiny sample size and those conditions are nothing similar to what he will be facing in Buffalo (in half of his games).
Old 05-01-2013, 04:29 PM

Pretty inexcusable pick simply for the fact that he would have probably been there in 3rd or 4th round, and if he wasn't then no big deal, draft one of the other guys.

The player might be OK, but the value wasn't there. They overpaid because someone on the coaching staff developed a crush on him after meeting him in person.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Career Jerkoff, Gambling Guru and/or Dipshit

Imagine the concept. Buffalo coaches and scouts recommend a player that is coachable, a generally good leader, and has no impropriaties, has shown intangibles in workouts. Arizona and oakland take note.

Better than wasting a pick on a kid that wont even sign.

I think we are being a bit harsh. Mel kiper junior isnt the only chart maker out there.

Keep in mind this place is full of nazi's, commies, atheists, ultra-liberal douchebags and generally folks whose self perceived level of enlightenment emits an odor so foul that you have to be thankful this is just the interwebs. Therefore, it is only natural that most folks here don't like me.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Agendaless Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
Imagine the concept. Buffalo coaches and scouts recommend a player that is coachable, a generally good leader, and has no impropriaties, has shown intangibles in workouts. Arizona and oakland take note.

Better than wasting a pick on a kid that wont even sign.

I think we are being a bit harsh. Mel kiper junior isnt the only chart maker out there.
I don't think anyone is banging on Manuel as a sure bust. The point is that it was a horrendous pick at No.16 overall made by an historically incompetent organization.

Some of the other points I made elsewhere were:

1. BUF had the 9th pick in the second round and surely could have taken Manuel there;

2. By taking Manuel at No.16 overall, BUF passed on the following guys, all of whom filled needs and most of whom could have been said at the time to surely go in the first round: Jarvis Jones (OLB UGA, who, by the way PIT took with the next pick, so you know he can play, since PIT rarely screws up first round picks), Eric Reed (LSU S), Tyler Eifert (ND TE), Desmond Trufant (WASH CB), Bjoern Werner (FSU DE), Xavier Rhodes (CB FSU), Alec Ogletree (ILB UGA), and Matt Elam (S UF);

3. The QBs Manuel was closely ranked with all went in the 4th round (Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, etc. to more competent teams); and,

4. If one thinks it was a good pick, s/he necessarily, thus, have to believe that the BUF organization is smarter than PHI, NYG, OAK, and PIT, who all waited until the 4th round to get their QBs. By the way, there are 7 Super Bowl appearances (8 really, but OAK in 2003 does not count) and 4 Super Bowl championships between these four teams since 2000. And, BUF has the longest current playoff drought in the league.

And, to piggy back off of Chap's comment above, I can guarantee that BUF did not observe in person any of the other 10 QB's that were drafted under similar weather conditions. So, if I were to ask Marrone, "How do you know Manuel is better under those conditions than Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, etc.?", I'd almost surely get the "Oh sh!t, I didn't even think to observe those other guys under those conditions" blank stare back from Marrone.

Again, I'm not, and I haven't heard anyone else, bang on Manuel as a sure bust. He may turn out to be a very good or even great player.

I'm taking the BUF organization to task once again for its immeasurable incompetence.