Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > The Chip Count

Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 AM

I don't really know what is proper to talk about etc, and I don't know anything about ATS...... but thats a huge home game. How does the money work? Are the big stacks just well enough known that they are good for the money?

The reason I ask is because games like that are usually big security issues. We had one big game in my town and it was robbed several years ago by what appeared to be a well organized gang of mexican dudes. Assault rifles, beat up people a bit, got the cash and got on the highway. I could write a book on picking a spot for a poker game... games with that range of buyins is just absurd for a homegame.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Would rather not get to much into the details of the logistics of the game. Would love to hear your thoughts on strategy!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:31 AM

If you are playing with as much multiway action as you claim, you shouldn't pass up on many 'tasty looking starters'. (well depending on what you mean by tasty) I can't imagine a game like that where people would thiknk buying in for 50 or 100 is acceptable, so you're probably want to continue playing with $200 buyins due to peer pressure.

Honestly though you'd probably be better playing min stack until you win one, then going from there. I mean, if 90% are straddling for $25 and 50% are seeing the flop, you should be playing 1/3 or so of your hands, since you'll be getting it all in with them and then getting postflop protection which will just add to your EV. (well assuming rake isn't something off the map.)

Once you get a larger stack then start limp reraising. Don't always just shove aces. There are tons of other solid hands you can shove with that'll be close to a coinflip with AAxx. The thing is, LRR won't work if your stack is too small relative to the blinds, because it won't ever be proper to fold some hands. The constant straddles make it very hard to do.

Games like that are very rare. How long has it been around? You should be careful to not get uninvited. I just don't get how they can allow a min buyin of $50 and not have a table of pissed off people. bizarre, but gl.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Short buy-ins are not frowned upon at all. They help keep the game going. It is great for the game hear a guy talk about taking $50 into $5000 at other games! I have had to quit playing hands like Ks8sQh6h. I will play them in the rare unstraddled pot, but invariably when you call $25/50 straddle with them, the preflop raise becomes $150/$250 and there are six callers then you really want to get involved next thing you know you flop the draws and make your hand and just cant fold. that has been my biggest leak and the game is unbeatable playing those hands afaik. The nuts are pretty much always out there. Game is going on five years old shows no signs of slowing down. $6 take very reasonable. The LRR is definitely a powerful tool with a larger stack. $500 gets called instantly by a few 2k notsomuch!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATS Profiler View Post
Short buy-ins are not frowned upon at all. They help keep the game going. It is great for the game hear a guy talk about taking $50 into $5000 at other games! I have had to quit playing hands like Ks8sQh6h. I will play them in the rare unstraddled pot, but invariably when you call $25/50 straddle with them, the preflop raise becomes $150/$250 and there are six callers then you really want to get involved next thing you know you flop the draws and make your hand and just cant fold. that has been my biggest leak and the game is unbeatable playing those hands afaik. The nuts are pretty much always out there. Game is going on five years old shows no signs of slowing down. $6 take very reasonable. The LRR is definitely a powerful tool with a larger stack. $500 gets called instantly by a few 2k notsomuch!
Yea, the K8Q6 hand.. That would be ok if you had $50-$100 and are going to get it all in preflop with 50% of other players. Kings up, queens up, etc may win. Pretty sure you should play that hand if you are getting it allin PF with 50% of the other players. Your flushes are going to be good a lot of the time and when the Ace/King high is out there, you will not be punished any extra. I think thats probably pretty borderline and wouldn't consider anything worse.

$6 take is very reasonable. In my area, $10 is standard at even 1/2 and sometimes it can be more "when they're just covering expenses". I'd pay $20 an hour on top of the rake to play in the game if it is as you described. You say short buys are great for the game,.. and short buyins are not frowned upon, but seems like you'd get a bunch of guys show up shortstacking until they build a big stack and go into lockdown.

I always wonder about games like this.... Like a street craps game where people are given 30k in credit. (probably cheating going on) Wear sunglasses so you can watch the shuffle or at least they can't tell if you are watching the shuffle. I've been on the opinion after playing home games for awhile, that sunglasses are more useful to watch the dealer. Sucks but so true.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM

There's no credit players in the game. Short stacking is much easier said than done; the big stacks can really play and will eventually bust you if you sit long enough. Really have to dine and dash which is fantastically hard to do b/c the game is so fun. But winning is funner.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
There's no credit players in the game. Short stacking is much easier said than done; the big stacks can really play and will eventually bust you if you sit long enough. Really have to dine and dash which is fantastically hard to do b/c the game is so fun. But winning is funner.
Yea, everyone can bust you eventually if you keep playing... dunno, no advice there but study the game...

I have quit playing PLO, realizing it has not treated me well. When it does treat me well it appears I just got insanely lucky. I'lll still play a round n round game, but straight PLO games, no. Pretty much only people who know how to play poker play PLO. That being said I'm jealous as hell. I'd love to play in such a game.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Moderator-The Chip Count

Quote:
It took a bit of patience and had to pass on some tasty looking starters and it took me two buy in shoves of $200 but I ended up booking a nice win.
You can broaden your range to such holdings as AKQJ type hands in appropriate spots.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:41 PM

Most double-suited rundowns work pretty well short-stacking because you don't have any difficult post-flop decisions.