Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > The Ledger

Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 PM
No data to back it up

Default James Manos

I'm not sure what's more surprising this year with his MLB stuff over at VI. Is it a dead even 127-127 mark at the half way point or the fact that he hasn't layed the RL all season. Maybe the 'Groovin' (laying the RL is bad advice) shadow is lurking big over his shoulder or he hasn't liked anyone >-200 to date.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimie View Post
Is it a dead even 127-127 mark at the half way point or the fact that he hasn't layed the RL all season.
Offhand I can think of about seven hundred things that are more surprising than a James Manos 50% record lol
Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 PM
No data to back it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualCzech View Post
Offhand I can think of about seven hundred things that are more surprising than a James Manos 50% record lol

Yeah maybe a bad set-up to the RL bit....nonetheless this guy used to
be a decent mlb capper but I think you guys ruined him for life. I still
think he has nightmares about the RL threads over at the old LVA.
Good guy but the record altering at VI was indefensible.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Friend of RTP

Default Andy Iskoe

One guy at VI who is the epitome of consistency is Andy Iskoe.

Down -23u this year in MLB, and down -168u since 2003.

He has 237 runline plays in 8 1/2 years ALWAYS laying the run and a half, just about breaking even (which is a great result for Andy). Andy has stated many times on the radio how taking the run and a half is a bad bet because there is only one way that the one run can come into play!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Bet Like a Real Fucking Pro

Funny, I was just thinking of my old friend James Manos yesterday. A friend was telling me about an argument he had with a friend of his where the friend misunderstood regression to the mean (the friend thought if a coin came up heads 9 times in a row, the 10th time would almost certainly be tails). That made me recall Manos's theory that he doesn't like to bet teams in the second half of the season who didn't have a long losing streak in the first half, since all teams usually have one losing streak per year, so a team that didn't have a long losing streak in the first half is due for one in the second half.

Iskoe made one of my favorite statements when Fezzik hosted You Can Bet on It. When discussing some NBA series with a large favorite, I think Pacers/Pistons, Iskoe mocked those who bet Pacers +1200 or whatever for the series, stating that there are people who bet Pacers +1200 thinking they're getting "value" (scare quotes his) but Pacers +1200 is a bad bet because the series won't be played ten times, it will only be played once. No surprise that some idiot tout doesn't understand basic probability, but it's even funnier when that statement comes from the guy that calls his tout service the Logical Approach and that the other touts call the "numbers genius."