Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > The Chip Count

Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Default Weird homegame question.

So there is a game they play called 65. You get 3 draws, 3 cards first draw, 2 cards 2nd draw, 1 card 3rd draw.

It is 6 card low, with A23456 being the nut low. Then 5 cards for high.

Those are pretty much THE rules.

What happens when someone has 333JJJ and someone has 222KKK, who takes low ? How would you rule ? I think there might be other situations like this too. 3 pairs in each hand would have a similar issue. AA2233 vs KKTTJJ, which is lower ?

Will chaos break out ?

I would ask the host but it'd be painful watching him try to reason it.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecky View Post
So there is a game they play called 65. You get 3 draws, 3 cards first draw, 2 cards 2nd draw, 1 card 3rd draw.

It is 6 card low, with A23456 being the nut low. Then 5 cards for high.

Those are pretty much THE rules.

What happens when someone has 333JJJ and someone has 222KKK, who takes low ? How would you rule ? I think there might be other situations like this too. 3 pairs in each hand would have a similar issue. AA2233 vs KKTTJJ, which is lower ?

Will chaos break out ?

I would ask the host but it'd be painful watching him try to reason it.
You need a specific rule since normal inversion of high hands is impossible if 6 cards play. However, by analogy with 2-pr I'd suggest such a rule should stipulate JJJ333 is lower than KKK222. Or just stipulate a low qualifier.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerKat View Post
You need a specific rule since normal inversion of high hands is impossible if 6 cards play. However, by analogy with 2-pr I'd suggest such a rule should stipulate JJJ333 is lower than KKK222. Or just stipulate a low qualifier.
A qualifier would totally change up the game and make it more interesting possibly. As it is now, headsup you are unlikely (perhap can not) to scoop without a 6 card low hand. So people go for flushes/straights etc more than hands based off pairs.

I think one would have to make the rule that any invalid 6 card hand becomes a 5 card hand. Then the argument would be is it the highest or lowest 5 card hand ? I think each side could be argued equally more or less.

It could also fairly easily happen if for some reason both people were drawing with 2 pair. Although those hands suck and seem somewhat unlikely. So basically the situation is never seen, but it will be a mess when it does.

Reality would be no one will be satisfied with the answer, so the low end would probably just be chopped. (and for good reason.)

Last edited by hecky; 08-23-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM

Default answer

Quote:
What happens when someone has 333JJJ and someone has 222KKK, who takes low ?
It is a split pot. I think I see why you are asking but there is really no debate. For example if we were are playing a standard lowball game and the final hands are 22KK8 vs 33JJ8, then the two pair jacks up is lower.
Quote:
AA2233 vs KKTTJJ, which is lower ?
AA2233 scoops. In lowball games where the ace may be counted as low then you may also count a pair of aces as a low pair, so any pair of aces heads up in this game is a very strong hand.

That being said, it is important that these kinds of things are discussed upfront before the actual hand takes place or usually the most vocal player in the hand will insist on a non-standard ruling, and your home game will end up with an unusual house rule.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fristin View Post
It is a split pot. I think I see why you are asking but there is really no debate. For example if we were are playing a standard lowball game and the final hands are 22KK8 vs 33JJ8, then the two pair jacks up is lower.
The problem is with 6 card hands, there can be 2 ways to interpret it into a 5 card hand. KKK222 Could be made into KKK22 or KK222. (either highest or lowest 5 card hand) Which one is more valid ? What would be the default rule? You take the lowest 5 card hand to evaluate the low half or the highest 5 card hand ?

I suppose the right ruling would be to take the lowest interpretation of the 6 card hand but it is far from clear.

Anyway.. not sure why I even posted this here. Boredom.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
The problem is with 6 card hands, there can be 2 ways to interpret it into a 5 card hand. KKK222 Could be made into KKK22 or KK222. (either highest or lowest 5 card hand) Which one is more valid ? What would be the default rule? You take the lowest 5 card hand to evaluate the low half or the highest 5 card hand ?

I suppose the right ruling would be to take the lowest interpretation of the 6 card hand but it is far from clear.

Anyway.. not sure why I even posted this here. Boredom.
If the game was standard (5 cards play) rules then you play KKK22 for high and 222KK for low. But it's six cards play for low and you cannot choose how to arrange the hand, cards speak and the hands are evaluated by the highest pair first and the lower pair breaks ties.